Hi all!! I normally post about food and crafts on here, but this showed up in my feed and something in my instincts told me that I had to share it!! This scares me beyond belief, and is the number 1 reason I don’t give Grant hard candy or gum...besides that fact that they are terrible for him! I hope sharing this saves a life and please excuse my freaked out #mommymoment
TIP TUESDAY: Nothing scares an ER doctor (and mother) more than a choking child. On average, 34 children per day are treated in emergency departments across the U.S. due to food-related choking. Of these incidents, hard candy is the leading cause, followed by other candy, meat and bones. Hot dogs are responsible for 17% of all choking incidents under age 10. Other high-risk foods include whole grapes, raw veggies, nuts, seeds, large pieces of cheese, scoops of peanut butter, popcorn and chewing gum. In terms of choking due to non-food items, the majority of these incidents occur in young children. Balloons are the number one cause of choking fatalities under age 6. Other common culprits include coins, plastic toys and batteries. So what can you do as a parent?
1. Carefully prepare meals and snacks, cutting food into small pieces.
2. Limit distractions during meal or snack time. Don’t let them run around while eating.
3. Monitor those toy bins, especially if you have younger kids. Keep small toys out of reach or better yet, consider tossing them (i.e. mini legos, small rubber balls and darts.) 4. Make it a habit to keep loose change out of reach and in the same spot. Coins are perfectly attractive to little ones – smooth, shiny and bite size.
5. Learn how to do the Heimlich maneuver and perform CPR. Those first few minutes during a choking episode are critical, and your ability to remain calm and intervene is crucial. 🍇🥦🌭🍬🥜🍿
#choking #highrisk #food #foodprep #children #safety #prevention #heimlich #cpr #education #tiptuesday #3MD #hospitalgrade #firstaid #kidSTAT